Towns & villages
You will find cosiness and cultural history in the Hanseatic city Zwolle, the fortified town Hattem or in one of the other Hanseatic cities along the IJssel or in the former Zuiderzee town Elburg.
- Zwolle: a dynamic Hanseatic city with a lively town centre. The centre is certainly worth a visit with its Sassenpoort, climb the Peperbus and visit the most beautiful bookstore in the Netherlands, in a church, Waanders in de Broeren.
- Kampen: an age-old Hanseatic city with an exceptionally lively character. In fact, it is an open-air museum. The magnificent skyline along the river IJssel, the City Bridge with golden wheels, the impressive gates and the historical inner city with hundreds of monuments give the city an authentic appearance.
- Giethoorn: a characteristic village with narrow canals, small bridges, picturesque farms and beautiful gardens. Discover it by whisper boat, on foot or by bicycle.
- Elburg: beautifully situated at the Veluwe border lakes, the centuries old town of Elburg is situated. One of the most attractive Hanseatic cities in the Netherlands. Formerly a bustling fishing town by the Zuiderzee. Today, it is an ultimate starting point for tourists and lovers of culture and water sports.
- Deventer: centuries-old Hanseatic city, situated on the river IJssel, with a beautiful history. And you can see it everywhere in the city! Magnificent monuments, beautiful squares, old museums, but also plenty of cosiness for those who like to shop or enjoy a pleasant café or restaurant.