Taste of culture in the surroundings of Molecaten Park Kruininger Gors
Enjoying the historic places
In the region, visit the small museums and the historic fortress towns of Brielle and Hellevoetsluis; also nice for some shopping. World city Rotterdam is only half an hour away!
Museums & sights
- Openluchtmuseum de Duinhuisjes in Rockanje: restored dune farmhouses that give an impression of the region in the 19th century.
- Museum in den Halven Maen in Rockanje: the museum shows old groceries, tins, tobacco articles, hats and clothing. The collection is housed in a grocery shop, a cafe and an Old Dutch sweet shop.
- Rien Poortvliet Museum on the nature island of Tiengemeten in Zuid-Beijerland: enjoy the wonderful artist Rien Poortvliet, who has an amazing oeuvre with his watercolours and oil paintings.
- Historisch Museum Den Briel in Brielle: experience the Eighty Years' War and discover the town's history, sea heroes and archaeology.
- Museumschip de Buffel in Hellevoetsluis: a unique piece of maritime cultural heritage. On board, an exhibition traces the ship's more than 150-year history.
- Spoorwegmuseum R.T.M. in Ouddorp: For more than 50 years, the RTM was the most important carrier of the islands of Zuid-Holland and Schouwen-Duiveland. Experience the memories of the past, with the rides of today!
- Information Centre Futureland on Maasvlakte 2 in Rotterdam: You cannot get any closer to a new part of the Netherlands and a port under construction. Discover the port of the future.
Towns & villages
- Brielle: kings, naval admirals, writers and poets lived here. Visit the Historical Museum Den Briel. Behind the many historical facades, nice shops, restaurants and cosy cafés are hidden.
- Hellevoetsluis: is one of those small towns where history, land and water are combined into a paradise for walkers, cyclists and water sports enthusiasts. Also take a look at Museumschip De Buffel.
- Rotterdam: the port city of the Netherlands distinguishes itself by its impressive architecture, the most famous example being the Erasmus Bridge. Rotterdam is a city with many possibilities for a day out. A cruise through Europe's largest port area, a look at the Euromast or a day at the Blijdorp Zoo are just a few of the many possibilities.