Taste of culture in the surroundings of Molecaten Park Kuierpad
Beautiful villages and interesting museums
Explore the past and present in the Drenthe Highlands in your own way!
Museums & sights
- Hunebedcentrum in Borger: back to prehistory. The exhibition in the Hunebedcentrum lets you experience how the hunebed-builders lived and worked thousands of years ago.
- Openluchtmuseum Ellert en Brammert in Schoonoord: Here you can relive the past of South-East Drenthe with stories about how people lived in the area. Take a look at the plaggenhut, the Saxon farm, the tollhouse, the school and the prison. Tickets are available at a discount in the reception.
- Gevangenismuseum in Veenhuizen: learn everything about the history of Veenhuizen in the Gevangenismuseum - which is located in one of the original buildings of the colony! - learn everything about the history of Veenhuizen.
- Groninger Museum in Groningen: The museum for art, design and art history with changing collections and exhibitions.
- Memorial Centre Kamp Westerbork in Hooghalen.
Towns & villages
- Visit the beautiful (brink) villages: Orvelte, Ruinen, Vledder, Diever, Dwingeloo, Smilde and Bakkeveen.
- Assen: here you will find a home furnishing boulevard, about ten (covered) shopping centres that have shopping evenings and Sundays and a market on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Most of the shops are in Assen's historic city centre.
- Groningen: great adventures, experience them in Groningen. With your feet in the clay of the vast polders. Sailing past seals on a bed of sand. In a sturdy, centuries-old church. Or somewhere in a side street, wandering through the city.
- Emmen: shopping, going to the theatre, cinema or to Wildlands? It's all possible in the versatile city of Emmen, just a 20-minute drive away.